Saturday, August 21, 2010

NEIGHBOURHOOD

ALONE @ JOBERG


It was another Tuesday filled with usual office chores. On my way back home, as a part of my daily routine, I called mom. Mom never wanted to know how costly ISD was in South Africa. So, as a part of my unpleasant attitude, I hang up the phone after two minutes. I knew that my mother considered herself lucky to receive a call from me everyday and would never be disappointed with me being boorish. Hence it did not matter either to me or to her when I disconnected the phone in an uncanny manner.



I entered my room, switched on the lights and dressed myself in a t-shirt and shorts. Ah! I was so comfortable without my corporate attire. Everyday, this was the time we I relished being me. I switched on the laptop and silently sat down to study. Yes, it was 64th attempt to begin the preparation for GMAT exams. I had quit 63 times but after two to three days of every failed attempt, somehow I motivated myself to books. That was a phenomenon and I was proud to be a part of it.


It is impossible for a software engineer to stare at a laptop and not to browse the internet. Phew, off went the mobile cover and within a minute of my study sessions the internet explorer was set to work. “http://orkut.com” – I typed as fast as I can. The sky blue screen flashed and being a curious human being, I scrolled down to look the latest updates of my friends.


‘Kuheli Sen updated her status message – “Lord let me live till I die”’ – I was flabbergasted. My sixth sense suggested that Kuhu was not well but the other five restrained me from calling her. I did not even have her phone number until last week. It was a more than 2 years when I last called her. Last 7 months at Joberg were really tough ones but somehow I managed to patch up with her again and as a result of me being good, I was rewarded with the phone number.


Like a wise man, I concentrated on the OG data sufficiency guide for the next two hours. For a geek, the best way to kill time is to sit down with the quant. I was not a geek but quants always appealed to me and so did the dinner. If you are at onsite and a good cook, your fridge will always be stacked with scrumptious food. Mine was no exception and the grumping stomach set me off for dinner. I had chilly chicken and parathas for the dinner along with salad and yogurt as the desert. Foodies say that the best feeling is after you have had a stomach full of food. I was at my best after the dinner and logged into the internet. http://orkut.com – I typed in and Kuhu’s status message was again at my site. The laptop battery helped me to overcome the situation by signaling – Low Battery. I was forced to switch off my laptop as I was too lazy to plug in the charger.


No comments: